Write the damn thing.

Sleep mocks me. No matter how tired I am, I cannot seem to fall asleep before a witching hour each night.

I would blame just the wedding, but that’s not the sole culprit. Cycles of various topics, from wedding to work to wedding to writing to reading to wedding to life to friends to family and back again, all swirl through a mind refusing stubbornly to succumb to the most basic of primal human needs. And last night the item floating most through my cranium was one that lurks deeply.

My book.

Why haven’t I started it? Where would I start? How would it flow? Would I get a chapter in and decide it’s total shit and give up? Or would I just put something down to just start the process so I can quit guilting myself over my horrible procrastination of it?

Would I nit-pick the way I always do, writing a bit and then going back to edit viciously because GOD THAT SUCKED? Or could I possibly just let go and write? Effortlessly, the way that I am right now… oh, the irony.

I have an idea of what I want it to be. I even have some key basic chapters already written, but all out of order. And my mind can’t even process what would happen…either magical or disastrous… if I started to string them together. To fill in plot gaps. To build and mold a cohesive story.

Would it be told from a single perspective? Multiple? A narrative? Will I suck at writing out dialogue? Am I completely delusional for even thinking I possess an iota of the ability to call myself even close to that w word? A writer? me?

In all these murmurings, I know there is only one answer. Summed up so eloquently by a published author who spoke at Camp Mighty 2012.

50Peach.com - Write the damn thing

50Peach.com | Write the damn thingIt’s time. This is my own personal kick in the ass.

Write the damn thing.

Tags: , , , , , ,

Write the damn thing.

1. HUGE fan from the left is screaming and giddy on the inside with anticipation. I. Can’t. Wait.

Netstr September 15, 2014 at 11:22 pm #
    • Thank you from the right. Love you.

50Peach September 16, 2014 at 11:43 am #
  2. I was in the same boat just a few months ago. I decided it was time. And I’ve been working on it ever since. I came to the point of realizing that I won’t ever be completely fulfilled unless I write a book (hopefully books plural, but one to start!) and I also had to accept that the book wasn’t going to magically pop out of my brain onto paper. Then, when I tried to start, I could not make the book I intended to write work. I kept at it and it just wasn’t happening. Then I had an epiphany. In my downtime of driving or showering or whatever else, I often have these elaborate daydreams. And wouldn’t you know it? The day dreams were novels waiting to be written! The reason I didn’t recognize them was because they were romance and I had no intention of writing a romance novel. Once I got past that, I am now happily plugging away at my first one. So my advice is to pay attention to your day dreams!

Good luck, I know you can do it! (this is Kianwi, by the way…I decided to change my name to something that would work better for an author :)

Kinley Dane September 16, 2014 at 11:36 am #
    • Kianwi, hi! You’re the sweetest, thank you! And isn’t it so true? I too, daydream at the oddest times. In the shower is hilarious, isn’t it? (Hmm… let me put the soap down to jot that in my notebook.) :) Congrats on listening to your daydreams and for starting! I think that’s the hardest part. You rock.

50Peach September 16, 2014 at 11:43 am #
  3. This. Yes. Me too.

Sam Merel September 16, 2014 at 3:24 pm #
  4. Please write this book! I know you can do it. Just sit down and write and worry about the editing and revising later. Just get the shitty first draft done and you’ll figure out the rest later.

I know how hard it is but if you want it you have to get out of your own way and write.

Michelle Longo September 18, 2014 at 10:15 pm #