The Top 8 BlinkBlink Moments On Becoming Engaged

You think you know how it will all go down. You’ve dreamed about this moment since you were a little girl. Notice I said you. Not me. But whatever you have envisioned for the moment you become engaged, rest assured it won’t happen exactly as you hoped or dreamed. (SPOILER: It’s actually better.)

Lemme s’plain how it has gone down for me by sharing what’s been the most surprising so far.

1. The moment.

I thought I would react like you see on TV… the chest-clutching, cover the mouth, face crumpling in tears, all aflutter, oh-really-who-me?

Kristen

Nope. I was grinning like an idiot the whole time. I mean, sunbeams shooting out of my face, grinning. Overjoyed. Happy. Couldn’t wait to say yes. Let a curse word slip. Laughing, smiling, elated. No tears. I mean, why cry?!? I love this man so much it’s stupid. Plus? I’m a stress crier, not a happy crier. Or maybe I’m just a weirdo. There’s always that.  Good thing he loves my weird.

amy-happy

2. The Bling.

It’s distracting. The first time my ring made it out of the house and the sun caught it while I was driving to the grocery store, I almost wrecked my car. Not even kidding a little bit. Whoa.

Owlie

3. The Questions – Holy sh*tballs, no one prepared me for all the questions!!!

THEM: When is the wedding? Where will it be? What season? Indoor or outdoor, church or no church, what kind of dress do you want?Colin

ME: Ummm… I don’t know, soon-ish? Somewhere. Something not cold. Or hot. Depends. None of your business. And something with none of the following: bows, ruffles, feathers, camouflage or poofy sleeves.

Am I the world’s shittiest bride-to-be because I don’t have answers for ANY OF THESE?  Or that DR and I have barely even grazed the surface of most of these topics?? So, can someone remind us both to breathe? And tell us how to politely respond with something other than this?

4. The Bling, part two.

It’s $$$.  Trust me, the enormity of the financial implication of it is not lost on me. It is not to be taken lightly. Hence why I seriously get sweatypits when I have to leave my house. Or wash my hands. Or pretty much breathe.

Nervous

5. The Facebook Apocalypse.

Whoa. People come out of the woodwork. High school friends, current coworkers, former coworkers, undergrad and grad school friends, music festival friends, Camp Mighty friends, cousins/aunts/uncles (on both sides), former teachers/mentors, ex-boyfriends, Crossfit friends, holy frijoles. Best to turn off your phone notifications in advance. It’s nutso. But also kinda awesome.

Ted

6. My New Name.

People referring to me as ‘Mrs. HisLastName’ was a huge jolt the first few times!  It wasn’t that I’d never imagined the phrase – it was that it had never been LEGIT until right now.  Sh*t just got real.

Toothless

Aside: Not trying to start any controversy with this, because I’m sure some folks might be aghast that people just assumed I would take his name. But in actuality, it doesn’t bother me.  And remember too, this is the South. 😉

7. The Parents.

I had no idea how hard it would hit them. My mom, especially. She shared with me that she has been happy-tears weepy, remembering when I was born and how she held me and wished me all the happiness in the world… hoping that one day I’d be as happy and in love as she was. Well jeez, Mom. Thanks for helping me make up for those tears I didn’t cry when he proposed. Sniffffffffff.  I’m sure all my mama bear readers are cursing me and reaching for the kleenex, too. Sorry, y’all. My dad has been a rock. He, of course, mock-threatened DR with mention of his shotgun, but that’s his love language. Not one of many words, my dad, but he expressed plenty of love and congrats and desire to help us wherever possible in his own calm and quiet way.

I think we spend so much time as single gals NOT wanting the family pressure to get married that when it does happen, we forget how much it affects them, too.  I have no doubt the planning will bring it’s share of stress, but that it will also bring us all closer together.

modernfamily

8. The F-word.

He said it to me first, all stretched out. “Hey, guess what? You’re my fiannnnccceeeee.”

Britney

Hey! COOL!!!

It takes some adjusting to make the switch from ‘boyfriend’ to the F-word, but I think I’ll get it eventually. 😀

So there you go. That’s what has smacked me upside the head in the less than a week that I’ve been newly betrothed. How about the rest of you?

What took you by surprise when you became engaged?  If you’re my lovely single ladies, what is surprising about this list?

Tags: , , , , , ,

The Top 8 BlinkBlink Moments On Becoming Engaged

1. I am a walking disaster, so I told my then boyfriend to buy me the cheapest ring he could find so that I wouldn’t feel as bad when I lost or broke it. I also said I had no intention of wearing it after the wedding so as to lessen the likelihood that I’d lose it or break it. It’s been in a jewelry box for almost 12 years. I walked around for nearly 2 years afraid of it, always turning the diamond into my palm to protect it. I’m glad to not have the stress of it.

But I do still enjoy looking at it and remembering the day I got it.
    Congrats again!!

Michelle Longo September 9, 2013 at 9:24 am #
    • Thanks for sharing that! I love how everyone’s stories are unique to the individual. Thank you, my friend. :)

50Peach September 11, 2013 at 8:32 am #
  2. That sounds perfect! Nice and crazy. Just like you didn’t expect. <3

Nette September 9, 2013 at 10:46 am #
    • Agreed! <3 you more.

50Peach September 11, 2013 at 8:33 am #
  3. PEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEACH!

1) Congrats!

2) Um, way to hit the nail on the head FOR REAL. While my engagement was, indeed, perfect and romantic, I’m pretty sure I killed the mood when my body/brain/psyche couldn’t figure out what emotion to go with… and, of course, the distraction of YOUR-SO-GLITTERY left hand. I don’t know about you, but everything felt like I was drunk and in slow motion.

3) #6 gets even WEIRDER after marriage. It took me months to finally figure out that “Mrs. C” was a new person on the team…

4) CONGRATS!

Celia G. September 9, 2013 at 12:46 pm #
    • Celia! I’m SO happy you shared your experiences and that I’m not alone in feeling overwhelmed (but in the best of ways)! Thank you for the congrats! :)

50Peach September 11, 2013 at 8:34 am #
  4. Congrats again Boo. Answer the questions when you have answers. Until then, just tell everybody the truth. You don’t know and you are just enjoying the moment.

Unsolicited advice….

1) Get a special insurance plan for the ring. It won’t cost you much money, but give you piece of mind. Take lots of pictures of it also and keep them in a safe place.

2) As far as wedding planning goes… That is going to be surprisingly easy for you. Apply your project management skills. It is just a project. I big/important project… But still a project. Whip up a MS Project file with tasks, deadlines, dependencies, etc. Then all you have to do is keep up with it. We did this on the advice of a friend and it worked great. No stress.

–Chris

Chris September 9, 2013 at 12:58 pm #
    • Thank you for the advice, Chris! Completely agree about treating it as a project – make a list, check em off! And hells yeah – the insurance plan is one of the first things I put into motion. You rock, as always!

50Peach September 11, 2013 at 8:36 am #
  5. Getting engaged is so weird, isn’t it? I mean, awesome, but also weird. It’s like, one minute you guys are one thing, and seconds later, you are something completely different. It’s a way more radical shift than the one from engaged to married. I remember feeling all twilight zone-y for a day or two before I got my feet back under me.

Best advice – insure your ring as a rider to your renters policy (if you rent) or homeowners policy (if you own) for the appraised value. It won’t bump up your premiums all that much, and it’s worth it for the peace of mind. I know its totally unromantic for him to give you the ring appraisal, but having it insured will cover you for pretty much anything that may ever happen to it (loss, theft, breaks, etc.).

Sam Merel September 9, 2013 at 5:17 pm #
    • Sam, it IS weird. Good to know I’m not a weirdo for feeling completely spacey and exhausted for a few days! Thanks for the insurance advice, too. Sooooo important! xox

50Peach September 11, 2013 at 8:38 am #
  6. the ‘engagement’ period is such a fun time! love every crazy minute! blink and it’s over. 😉

icescreammama September 9, 2013 at 7:04 pm #
    • I think now that I’m getting my feet back under me and learning how to field all the questions gracefully, I can really enjoy it better. It’s going to be a crazy ride, but I’ll do my best to enjoy it all. Thanks!

50Peach September 11, 2013 at 8:39 am #
  7. Yay, you!! What fun news. I know “congrats” is the wrong-etiquette thing to say, but whatever. Congrats on being happy.

When I Blink September 10, 2013 at 6:48 pm #
    • Haha, why is “congrats” the wrong thing to say? Not in my book! Thank you, hon!!!

50Peach September 11, 2013 at 8:40 am #
      • In olden times, when you said “contrats” to a woman it basically meant “congrats on ‘actually’ finding a man that would marry you”. (I am paraphrasing) According to that rule I think you are supposed to say “Best wishes”. I don’t agree that congrats is the wrong thing to say, but thought I would share what I believe is the history of why you shouldn’t say it.

Chris September 11, 2013 at 10:24 am #
        • Chris wins for fun fact of the day! And oh trust me, I’ve gotten “Finally!”, “it’s about time!” and “I thought it would never happen”… I’ll take congrats any day. 😛

50Peach September 11, 2013 at 10:40 am #
  8. Haha I feel better prepared now!

Lizzy September 11, 2013 at 12:09 am #
    • Happy to help!! 😀 XOX

50Peach September 11, 2013 at 8:42 am #
  9. I’m way behind on all things Peach so will catch up on everything, but I started with the punchline and it has me grinning from ear to ear. I am so very thrilled for you!! All the best from your former Row-mie!

MizYank September 11, 2013 at 9:00 am #
    • Hi Miz Yank!! Thank you soooo much for stopping by. Yayyyy! :)

50Peach September 11, 2013 at 10:40 am #
  10. It took me a loooooong time to post because gifs are so mesmerizing.

So happy for you and this post nailed it!

Bertie September 11, 2013 at 4:09 pm #
    • Love me some good gifs. Finding the perfect ones, though? A whole other black hole. But fun. 😀

50Peach September 13, 2013 at 10:57 am #
  11. The gifs. Oh. My. Gosh. The gifs. This is a perfect and hilarious post. I love it. I love you.

Kirsten Oliphant September 13, 2013 at 2:02 am #
    • You. Love your face. Thanks, sweets!

50Peach September 13, 2013 at 11:00 am #