30s are the new I Don’t Give A Shit.

30s are the new I Don't Give A Shit.

There were two articles on Buzzfeed lately, hilariously highlighting the differences between our 20s and our 30s. The linked content is quite awesome, extremely truthful and well worth the clicks if you haven’t seen them.  I bet you’ll nod vehemently at many examples, whether you are in your thirties or approaching them (or past them).

30 Signs You’re Almost 30.

27 Underrated Things About Being In Your Thirties.

I can clearly remember my 30th birthday. I was living in New Jersey, just across the water from Manhattan. My Long Island bestie and I rented out the top floor of Social on 8th Ave. and invited everyone from our circle of friends. We looked fabulous and danced and drank our way into our thirties, reveling in the fact that we were young(ish) and living in the metropolitan hub of the world. It was an epic night swirled with booze and love and we enjoyed every second of it.

30s are the New I Don't Give A Shit - my 30th Bday

My 30th at Social, playing Charlie’s Angels with Might-E. And some rando guy.

Even better, my man (yes, my current one – same guy) surprised me with a weekend getaway. He’d arranged in advance: candlelight, music, and rose petals strewn about our hotel room. Are you getting that he has a wonderful romantic streak??? He gave me a lovely necklace I still have and will always treasure – an intertwined symbol of two never-ending shapes – custom-designed by him in diamonds and garnet. The man has good taste and made my 30th unforgettable.

30s are the new I Don't Give A Shit - The Necklace

The necklace.

At dinner with a friend recently, we discussed how turning 30 felt. I listened as she expressed how the actual event of turning 30 didn’t bother her. Turning 31 however, has been traumatic and is giving her a case of the sads.  Between these articles and this conversation I got to thinking. Funny, I wasn’t bothered by turning 30 either. Turning 33 though? That was my holy shit moment.

I’m getting older.

I’m never going to love again.

I’m miserable here.

Hangovers really, really suck now.

At this rate, my ovaries will have dust bunnies by the time I’m ready to have kids.

Stereotypical? Yep.

Honest? Absolutely.

Thanks to some major life events and a big ass sign from above, I decided to move to Atlanta shortly thereafter. And in my new hometown, I’ve celebrated my 34th and 35th birthdays. I’ve found my happy and I’m growing more every day into the person I want to be. My body has transformed from sickly-thin and unhealthy to strong and nourished.  I’m blissfully in love and can’t wait for my future with my puzzle piece. Those are all great and worth celebrating, but what I shared with my friend last night is that my mid-thirties have set me free.

I no longer value anyone’s opinion of me over the opinion I have of myself.

I’m 5000% less tolerant of bullshit.

I can be honest with others and express my own needs, because I have come to understand myself enough to do so.

I am confident. In me. In what I want. In what I deserve.

So no, I don’t read these tongue-in-cheek articles with gifs about going to bed at 10pm and pine longingly for my twenties. I’m quite happy that the days of waking up smelling like bad decisions are far behind me. But how about you? What’s your favorite part about being done with your twenties? If you’re not there yet, what scares you?

My advice if you’re approaching thirty and are panicking about your ‘loss of youth’, take Peach’s word for it. 30s are the new I Don’t Give A Shit.

And it’s awesome.

Tags: , , , , , ,

30s are the new I Don’t Give A Shit.

1. I just turned 30 and didn’t mind. Good to know I have a couple of years before I have my panic “moment.” :)

Kate July 25, 2013 at 2:58 pm #
    • Haha, who knows! Maybe you won’t even have a “moment”. But if you do, I’m here. 😀

50Peach July 25, 2013 at 10:03 pm #
  2. Yes yes yes 1000x yes. Just yesterday I had a moment of holy-shit-i-am-turning-34-in-less-than-two-months and then I quickly remembered that I’m the happiest I have ever been. I used to worry – ALL THE TIME – about when will i get married, will I ever own a home, will I have kids. And now I just think … meh. Whatever happens, happens. IDGAF. Good post, Peach. :)

Mindy July 25, 2013 at 3:14 pm #
    • Thanks, Mindy… and thanks for the other thing too. Big squeezes from me to you!

50Peach July 25, 2013 at 10:04 pm #
  3. I was pregnant with Nathan when I turned 30 and I was pretty OK with it. I was even OK with 35. 37 on the other hand, well… that shit is way closer to 40 than I’m comfortable with. I’m somewhere between “37 is the new 27! Woohoo!!” and “Fuuuuuuuuck 37 is old, I am doomed.”

Overall the 30s are better than the 20s because there is more certainty about a lot of things and more of a settling in. I don’t want to be in my 20s, I really am as tired as buzzfeed tells me I should be.

But I *almost* look forward to my 40s because I hear those are going to be awesome.

Michelle Longo July 25, 2013 at 3:16 pm #
    • “I really am as tired as buzzfeed tells me I should be.” AMEN! No matter what, you’re gonna rock your 40s with all that sass you have. Big things ahead for you, lady. xox

50Peach July 25, 2013 at 10:05 pm #
  4. Wait until your 40’s, they are even better!

Jules July 25, 2013 at 4:09 pm #
    • If they’re anything like what I’m seeing you do, I am ready! :)

50Peach July 25, 2013 at 10:06 pm #
  5. whenever that transitional moment hits and then hits again, and again, it can knock you for a loop. growing up ain’t easy, but each stage is so worthwhile. you give, you get, you win, you lose.. as long as you keep going, it’s all good.

icescreammama July 25, 2013 at 10:22 pm #
    • wise words from you, my dear. Love this, so so much.

50Peach July 25, 2013 at 10:51 pm #
  6. I turned 30 in January, and was actually excited about starting a new decade. On the day of my 30th I felt more settled than I ever have, and we had just started making some pretty major decisions about our future and our family that felt really grown-up, and adult, and thirty. I’m not sure what my scary age is or will be, or even if I have one, but I can honestly say that I’ve never been more excited about what lies ahead than I am right now.

Samantha Brinn Merel July 26, 2013 at 2:55 pm #
    • I love this for you, Sam. You sound so at peace… and happy. That makes ME happy. :)

50Peach July 29, 2013 at 9:36 pm #
  7. “I have become fearless in chasing the fuck out of my dreams, because WHY NOT? And if not NOW, then WHEN?”

Well said.

Erica July 27, 2013 at 1:41 pm #
    • Thank you! And I’ve just begun tackling the life list, with so much more adventure to be had. 😀

50Peach July 29, 2013 at 9:37 pm #
  8. I am now looking forward to my 30s.

Carrie July 29, 2013 at 2:04 am #
    • They kick ass. And so will you.

50Peach July 29, 2013 at 9:37 pm #
  9. my 30’s were my hardest mother’fing decade so far. but I agree, bullshit is complete bullshit. echoing an earlier comment, 40 kicks ass!! yay for being a GROWN-UP!! xo

sugarleg July 29, 2013 at 9:02 pm #
    • AMEN, you! We make this shizz look GOOD. 😉

50Peach July 29, 2013 at 9:38 pm #
  10. Yeah! 30,s rock. Because you are more confident, you don,t care anymore about who talks to you or not, and besides: nowadays it,s more common to be independent enough to decide whether you want to have children or not, family or not, or even if you want to travel around the world with your new confidence its possible too!

I love being in the 30,s, I don,t remember being so well as now.

Sara August 28, 2014 at 9:38 am #
  1. Patience vs. Empathy and Acceptance | 50 Peach - July 29, 2013

[…] I’ve grown older and wiser. Maybe I just don’t let things bother me as much any more. Maybe I’m just less tolerant of bullshit. But I don’t think coping skills necessarily always boil down to having patience. At least not […]