It’s raining a lot of very, very good things on me and it’s freaking me out.
Ever have that happen? When suddenly the universe just felt generous and a whole bunch of good shit just fell at your feet? No? Me neither. Until recently.
I remember when The Secret started making headlines, I wrinkled my nose in its general direction. All I heard about it’s philosophy was : if you think positively and project your wishes to the universe, your dreams will magically come true. With leprechauns and unicorns. Okay, maybe the mystical creatures are a stretch, but I still call bullshit. I was raised by amazingly tough parents who instilled in my brother and I a strong foundation of working for what you have. We were taught that sacrificing and truly appreciating your accomplishment made you respect the value of hard work and its rewards. The belief that you can just SAY what you want and expect the universe to hand it to you, ie: The Secret, to me is utter bollocks.
Enter my friend FreakFlag, who introduced Camp Mighty into my life. Their concept? THAT I can get behind: Say what you want. (aka write it down in a Life List) Begin to do these things on your list. Start small, but you must take action. Do good for others. Help someone with their dreams, too. Then before you know it, things begin to happen in other ways because the ball is rolling. You become more brave. Stronger. More confident. Achieving smaller goals paves the way for tackling the bigger ones! FF’s huge life improvements in the year after her Camp Mighty experience inspired me to go. And DO. So I did.
If you’ve been following along, you know I’ve accomplished a great deal in the last year. I’ve put my dreams out there for the world to see and I’ve started going after them with a fierceness. Here’s a quick list, because lists are awesome.*
- Saw Portland
- Tried foie gras
- Went to NYC to see the Christmas tree in Rockefeller Center and have a hot chocolate at Serendipity
- Had professional portraits taken (see my header! and here!)
- Learned to rope climb
- Started therapy
- Got healthy
- Got happy
In the grand scheme, these are all pretty damn good things but I didn’t do anything crazy like quit my career or get a boob job or move to Italy. Give me time… 😉
But then bigger things started to happen. Another list, because yay.
- A few months ago I began to plan #3 on my 2013 Top Five: See the Redwoods and feel small in the world. My friend Might-E is joining me and we’re solidifying plans to make that happen.
- I began to learn how to voice my needs out loud to the people in my life. Still a work in progress, but better!
- My friend Nette committed to tackle #4 on my 2013 Top Five with me: Go to London with N. to revisit our juvenile delinquency. We started planning dates and asked for PTO from work!!
- During my performance review at work, I got brave and asked for a long overdue raise. I got it. And a bigger one than expected. Holy shit!
- Love smacked me upside the head. I braved the risk and went for it. I’ve been on cloud 9 ever since. Seriously, even my therapist is disgusted with me. Hell. I’m disgusted with me. I’m all fuzzy bunnies and shit. OMG, WHO AM I?
If all that wasn’t enough with the fat raise and the travel plans and the falling in love… then the universe hit the turbo boosters. Check out THIS list, of the last five days.
- Nette called me late Thursday night and passed along the teeny tiny news that her boss gifted our entire hotel stay in London. Um. WHAT? I may have fallen off my bed. Clearly, the universe wants us to go to London.
- I smashed my 5K time from a year ago by 9 whole minutes. Still in disbelief.
- Had an amazing time with family up in the mountains. Life is truly good when you’re watching your nephew make a double play at first base while the Spring sun is shining on your Starbucks coffee cup.
- A friend from college invited me to go see the Jillian Michaels’ Maximize Your Life tour on Sunday. It was so amazing, both the show and catching up with a long-lost friend after 13 years! But then by utter chance, we wound up meeting Jillian Michaels and got a picture! (I AM GINORMOUS NEXT TO HER.)
- Bertie was given club-level tickets to go see Rihanna last night and invited me and some other CrossFit gals. SO MUCH FUN!!! For the record, RiRi has a pair of crotch-high white leather Louboutin boots. That bitch.
Maybe it’s silly, but I’ve always held onto the belief that that we go through hardships for good reasons. Had I not been through as many difficult things in recent years, I would not be where I am right now. Not geographically, physically, mentally or emotionally. I know this with 100% certainty.
But these recent blessings are happening in such quick succession that I am having a difficult time wrapping my brain around everything. I don’t feel like I’ve done anything tangible that would result in such an outpouring of ridiculously cool events. And it feels bizarre to think that maybe, just maybe, these amazing things are happening because the universe decided I’d waded through my share of the shit for awhile and it was time to throw me a freakin’ bone. I don’t know what the answer is. All I know is that I’m grabbing onto these very good things and amazing opportunities with both hands and my toes, all monkey-like. I do not take my good fortune for granted and you best believe that I am one grateful girl.
So, it continues. I’m going to keep living the shit out of my life and keep on with my happy. And by god, I’m going to get my dreams.