Mighty Peach Life List #58 and #10 – Twinkly Lights and Serendipity

When people ask me if I’ve ever lived in New York, I have to admit, “I’ve never lived in New York, but I lived in Jersey for six years.” That statement is usually met with pursed lips, a brief nod, and a pitying “hmmm.”  Jersey just isn’t the same. It’s not better or worse, save Snooki and The Situation, but it’s not New York City.

US-CULTURE-CHRISTMAS-ROCKEFELLER-TREE

During my time in Jersey, I adjusted to the frantically-paced lifestyle and the “kill or be killed” driving mentality. I gave in to the reality that rats were fair roadkill game and that the enormous potholes could swallow a small child. But you don’t brag about those things to visiting family who can’t believe you moved to Jersey in the first place. Instead, I used their trips north to tackle big ticket NYC items and relished being a wide-eyed tourist with them. A few friends from college lived there too, and through them I experienced the lesser-hyped NYC phenomena. I danced on the bar at the real Coyote Ugly, saw operas at the Met, got lost wandering Central Park, and threw my 30th birthday bash at a bar on 8th Ave.

After six years, leaving Jersey wasn’t tough. I learned so much about myself, and I’d never trade my time there for anything, but it was time to go home. Now that I’ve been back in Atlanta for a year, I’ve realized I regret not doing a few things before I left.

With Christmas around the corner, I’m especially bummed that I never saw the Christmas tree at Rockefeller Center. When I tried to rally my native Jersey friends to go back then, they made the tree lighting ceremony sound like the worst of horrors—a crush of holiday-frazzled humanity who made it impossible to be near the tree at the magical moment. The big day always came and went, and in the holiday-filled weeks afterward my excuse was that I was too busy. “I’ll go next year,” I said. But I never did. Then I moved. Onto the Mighty Peach Life List it went.

This year, the folks at Bing told me to pack my fanciest Santa hat, my camera, and my walking boots, because they are sending me to New York to gaze lovingly at my tree. Bonus? I’ll get to check off #10 on my Life List—have a frozen hot chocolate at Serendipity! I’m counting the days and plotting what other trouble I can get into while I’m there.

I’ll report back when I return, but until then, tell me: What are your favorite NYC must-do and must-sees?

Tags: , , , ,

Mighty Peach Life List #58 and #10 – Twinkly Lights and Serendipity

1. You should go ice skating under the tree too! And see the Rockettes. Because you have to – we took our daughter last year and did both those things. Totally worth it. :)

Kristina December 17, 2012 at 10:15 pm #
    • Me on ice skates is not exactly pretty, but I may just have to give it another whirl. :)

50peach December 18, 2012 at 9:32 pm #
  2. Lucky chengs at 1st & 1st.

galarza9 December 17, 2012 at 10:17 pm #
  3. I work by Rock Center and walk by the tree every day on my way to work. It is definitely something to see, so I’m excited for you and your NYC adventures. Central Park is by far my favorite part of the city, and definitely the place I love best. If you get a chance, spend some time exploring my beloved Upper West Side. Its a little calmer than midtown and downtown, with great restaurants and superb shopping. Enjoy your trip!

samanthabmerel December 17, 2012 at 11:12 pm #
    • Oh, lucky you with that location! (Although I’m sure the tourist season is madness for your commute…) If I can make time I’ll definitely visit the UWS! Thank you!

50peach December 18, 2012 at 9:34 pm #
  4. Bing? I followed the link and I don’t get it. Also: EXCITING. xo

shannon December 18, 2012 at 2:45 am #
    • Bing = search engine. They were a big sponsor of Camp Mighty and awarded a few lucky folks like myself grant money to complete some life list items. Thanks, love! xox

50peach December 18, 2012 at 9:36 pm #
  5. Wow how exciting Peach! I’d suggest a meet up but it’s a crazy time of year and it would be a miracle if you were there and had time and I had time at those times. I am not sure it’s necessary to see the tree lighting ceremony but the tree is awesome. We saw it just before seeing Elf on Broadway in early December. Classic NYC scene with the skating.

Stacie @ Snaps and Bits December 18, 2012 at 6:01 pm #
    • Oh, man… I hear you. It’s going to be a crazy few days, but know that I’ll be thinking of you over there. It’s so close, but so farrrrr! :)

50peach December 18, 2012 at 9:37 pm #
  6. I’ve only been to NYC once, right before Christmas. It’s so magical. Must haves for me were:

– Eat at Hello Deli (next to the Ed Sullivan Theater – I’m a huge Letterman fan)
    – See the Today show studios (well, the windows outside)
    – See the tree
    – Ice skate in central park (got close but didn’t have time)
    – Carriage ride through central park
    – See a Broadway show
    – Eat real NYC pizza (which I did, morning noon and night, I know this doesn’t exactly fit into your lifestyle, but when in Rome, maybe?)

Out of all those things I would probably say you have to see a Broadway show, if you haven’t already.

This is so cool! I’m so excited for you! Yay! #thanksbing

Mindy December 18, 2012 at 9:40 pm #
    • I saw a few Broadway shows when I lived up there, but the carriage ride sounds so romantic and dreamy! And ohhhhhmygoodness, you reminded me of the PIZZA. I have missed that so so much. You evil woman! :) Thanks for the awesome suggestions!

50peach December 19, 2012 at 10:14 am #
  7. If I told you all the things I have never done in NYC, after living less than an hour from it all of my life (and less than 10 miles most of my life), you’d probably hate me. I’ve never seen the tree. It’s all cold and touristy. Am I the worst or what?

And next time you’re up this way, give me a shout! I’d love to meet up for coffee or something :)

Michelle Longo December 23, 2012 at 7:47 am #
    • I could never hate you! And notice… I’m from the south and have never been to a Braves or Falcons game either. Ha! Def will do!

50peach December 26, 2012 at 10:56 am #
  8. Congrats, Peach! Can’t wait to read your post-game report.

MizYank December 26, 2012 at 12:56 pm #
  1. Snark the Halls « Fifty Shades of Peach - December 20, 2012

[…] ← Mighty Peach Life List #58 and #10 – Twinkly Lights and Serendipity […]

2. Mighty Peach Life List #62 – Try Foie Gras…DONE! « Fifty Shades of Peach - December 27, 2012

[…] y’all.  I’m off to New York to take on Life List items #58 and #10. Happy New Year, […]

3. Mighty Peach Life List #58, #10 – Twinkly Lights and Serendipity…DONE! « Fifty Shades of Peach - January 5, 2013

[…] Back story to these life list items can be found here. […]

4. Mighty Peach Life List #58, #10 – Twinkly Lights and Serendipity…DONE! | 50 Peach - April 2, 2013

[…] Back story to these life list items can be found here. […]

5. Snark the Halls | 50 Peach - April 2, 2013

[…] freedom. Singles can travel! Last year I spent New Year’s Eve in California. This year, New York, are you ready for me?!?!  My friend NotMary is grabbing the chance to take a trip to Haiti, just because she can. Cool, […]