On being Mighty

Last year about this time, a friend of mine was freshly returned from something called Camp Mighty. I listened, enthralled, as she explained the concept: Everyone shows up armed with their Life List. Over the course of a weekend, everyone jumps in with getting to know each other and sharing their lists. The goal is to not only receive help with accomplishing your biggest (or smallest) life list goals, but to offer your own skillsets to help others accomplish theirs. Whether you’re floundering in the What Do I Want To Be When I Grow Up?s or the Now What?s or the I Just Need A Little Helps!, Camp Mighty throws a lot of very Mighty people together in one weekend to get the wheels turning for everyone.  To make things even more fabulous, there are amazing guest speakers AND all attendees fund-raise for a charity event. That is one hell of a trifecta, but….

I wasn’t totally sold. Not until I watched what she did over the course of the next six months.  This badass friend MET the two biggest goals on her life list: leaving her dead-end and soul-sucking job and getting a job doing what she loves best – writing. All within six months.  Her happiness ever since has been palpable and contagious. By the time registration for 2012 came around, I was in. After all, this is the year that I’ve quit smoking, gotten healthy, and decided to focus on making ME happy.

Yes, my friends.  I am going to Camp Mighty!!! My Life List is about halfway done (yikes!), I’m panicking about coming up with an outfit for the space-themed party, but I’ve got a plan around tackling my portion of my team’s fundraising.  Cue segue, NOW.

All Camp Mighty teams have to raise $5,000 in honor of Charity: Water, a non-profit organization bringing clean and safe drinking water to people in developing countries. To do my part, I’m hosting a gathering/homecoming reunion in my home.  That has turned into a guest list of… GULP.. 43 people. Breatheinbreatheout. It’s okay! I can do this!  People may be sitting on top of one another on my couch (no making out, please!) and there will certainly be spillover onto my back porch, but there will be multiple pots of my infamous chili, NFL games on the TV, reunions occurring, and most of all – I’m accepting voluntary donations that day AND selling homemade baked goods.

While I do expect the bulk of my fundraising efforts to be accomplished through my Charity: Water Party, I will also humbly request the help of you lovely people that I’ve come to love and support through blogging, Yeah Writing, Tweeting, or just being generally awesome as a whole. If you can spare any amount whatsoever to my efforts for Camp Mighty and Charity: Water, please email me at fiftyshadesofpeach (at) gmail (dot) com and I will send you the direct link to donate! Even the smallest amount would be appreciated.

Now that that business is taken care of, can I tell you how geeked out I am about this year’s speakers?!?  We’ll be meeting and hearing the likes of Jenny Lawson aka The Bloggess, and Ben Silbermann – the co-founder of Pinterest, woohoo!

But the crux of my wanting to go to Camp Mighty? I’m stuck. I have dreams. Big ones. But oh, my do they scare me and I don’t even know where to begin to set my life in the direction I wish to go.  I’m sick of being someone who is “Good at most. Great at none.”. If I get anything at all out of Camp Mighty I want to figure out how to stop settling for ‘good enough’ in my life and instead, go after being the Mightiest version of me.

There will be many more updates here in my little rented interwebs space about Camp Mighty.  If you’re curious what kind of crazy things I’ve added to my Life List, I’ve started a Pinterest Mighty Board to start putting my goals out there in the universe.  If you’re still with me, I hope you will enjoy reading about my Mighty experience as much as I’m looking forward to attending!

Now, what am I going to wear?!?!?

On being Mighty

1. This is really awesome! Send me the link. What great speakers! I can’t wait to hear about it. I am at the what now stage, soon to be divorced, back in the work force, just being, not living…. when is the weekend?

My Moms a Whack Job (@mymomsawhackjob) October 29, 2012 at 5:24 pm #
    • I’ll DM you the info on Twitter, thank you so much! It’s coming up soon! Less than 2 weeks, yikes! :)

50peach October 29, 2012 at 9:55 pm #
      • I looked it up and it is just a hop away from me! Would love to participate but no way I can swing it this year. Thanks for the info though. What an amazing opporuntity for you! Can’t wait to hear about it!

My Moms a Whack Job (@mymomsawhackjob) October 30, 2012 at 10:48 am #
  2. Whoa, fascinating! Did not know about this at all. Can’t do anything for a little while, but send the link anyway. Clean water is something I will always support. I’m proud that Canada is heavily involved in that kind of work, world-wide.

OneDayIllBeThatGuy October 29, 2012 at 6:51 pm #
    • It is such an amazing cause, isn’t it? I will DM you the info on Twitter!

50peach October 29, 2012 at 9:54 pm #
  3. Yay for Peach! Proud of you. Love your Mighty List, too. Send me the Clean Water link, please. xoxo

melisalunt October 29, 2012 at 6:55 pm #
    • Yay, thank you! Done and done, my friend. xoxo

50peach October 29, 2012 at 10:02 pm #
      • Wait, what? I didn’t get it! Can you please be sure to send it to melisabegins@gmail.com? xoxo

melisalunt October 30, 2012 at 2:57 pm #
  4. Looking forward to meeting you at Camp. :)

Amber Doty October 30, 2012 at 8:50 am #
    • Hi Amber! Can’t wait to meet you, too! Thanks for taking the time to stop by and read. I just hope I’ve done Camp Mighty justice in my description. I’m so excited!

50peach October 30, 2012 at 11:36 am #
  5. This is so awesome and inspiring! I can’t wait to check out your mighty board on pinterest!

Ashley Austrew October 31, 2012 at 2:02 pm #
    • Thanks, Ashley! Yes, please do… The Pinterest board is a work in progress but there are some fun ones up already! :-)

50peach October 31, 2012 at 3:38 pm #
  6. Thanks, Ashley! Yes, please do… The Pinterest board is a work in progress but there are some fun ones up already! :-)

50peach October 31, 2012 at 3:38 pm #
  7. I’ll be at Camp Mighty too! Looking forward to meeting you!

thatbridesgotmoxie November 2, 2012 at 11:09 am #
    • Fabulous, can’t wait!!! 😀

50peach November 2, 2012 at 11:16 am #
  1. Five Foto Friday #16: Gratitude « Fifty Shades of Peach - November 2, 2012

[…] If you can spare any amount whatsoever to my efforts for Camp Mighty and Charity: Water, please leave a comment with your contact info and I will send you the direct link to donate! Even the smallest amount would be appreciated. Thanks to those of you who have already given. It means the world to me. What is this Camp Mighty thing? Full post is here. […]

2. Five Foto Friday #16: Gratitude « Fifty Shades of Peach - November 2, 2012

3. Day 4 – My Mighty Party! « Fifty Shades of Peach - November 4, 2012

[…] As a refresher, I’m attending Camp Mighty in a few short weeks and I’m participating as part of a team to raise $5000.00 prior to the start of camp. The 4 teams together will raise over $20,000 for Charity: Water. How cool is that?  I wrote more about it here. […]

4. Day 4 – My Mighty Party! « Fifty Shades of Peach - November 4, 2012

5. Day 20: Finding your people « Fifty Shades of Peach - November 20, 2012

[…] it started with taking the step to register. And then to make my Life List. And then to whoa, actually show it to people. And then I threw a party to raise money for charity: […]

6. Day 20: Finding your people « Fifty Shades of Peach - November 20, 2012