8 Week Challenge, #2: That time I ran a race in a tutu.

First things first. I would like to give a ginormous shout-out to Pish Posh for her week 2 post. Not only did I laugh my ass off at the Fuck You, Flowers picture but she inspired me to be brave in my telling of this week’s events.  So with a deep breath and a big swig of my cup o’ joe…

Good things about this week:

Workouts included CrossFit Friday, Monday, Tuesday, and today.  Yoga was Saturday, and the tutu race was Sunday. Food-wise, I’ve eased up on the spoon-to-almond-butter ratio this week and the only booze I’ve had was one celebratory cider beer after the race. As for the resting, my body is simply worn out at the end of every day but it’s Jason (the amorous new boyfriend) who makes it difficult to go TO sleep… not that I’m complaining. Not one bit.

Bad things about this week:

The battle with the froyo/ice cream continues.  Pints of So Delicious and Almond Dream (both non-dairy ice creams) were purchased on Sunday. And last night Jason decided he wanted to stop at the Haagen Dazs shop. And they had Coconut Macaroon.  I. Was. DOOMED.

Weekly Theme #1 – Friendship

A few months ago, one of the girls from CrossFit asked me (the rookie) to join her and 3 other CF’ers in running a relay race… in which we’d all wear tutus. How could I possibly say no?!?!

Screw the baby-pink ones. I went LOUD.

Yeah, Peach. You blend.

Each of us had to run 3.43 miles, which made me nervous because A. These girls have been doing CF for YEARS. B. Two of them are marathoners.  C. My fastest 5K time is laughably slow… like 38+ minutes slow. But guess what? I ran my leg in 34:20!  Surprised the hell outta myself, that’s for damn sure.  Maybe it was all the torture I’ve put myself through since June with CF.  Maybe it was the beautiful weather that day.  It sure as hell WASN’T thanks to all the hills on the route!!  My best guess?  It was the tutu.  Our team didn’t come close to placing and lost the costume contest to a group that dressed as characters from that awful show American Gladiators screw those guys but we had so much fun!!! I’m glad I did it.

Weekly Theme #2: Insecurities

My body has been heavy, with thick thighs and WHOA tatas.  My body has also been frail and undernourished and overstressed. But at present, my body is healthy. Yet I am STILL critical of the way it looks. My butt has grown to massive proportions, people. At least according to every single fucking pair of pants I own that no longer fit and I’ve thrown on the top shelf of my closet in disgust.  It pisses me off that I now have fat rolls/muffin top in my favorite pair of jeans (which have fit me for YEARS) despite the work I’m putting into my diet AND in the gym. My butt has grown so much that the waistlines of my pants are too tight.  Sonofabitch.

When I got dressed for a girl’s night out on Monday, it led to a near panic-attack and my closet kinda threw up on my bed. I found something that seemed okay: super-stretchy slim-boot-cut jeans and a soft sweater that draped enough to hide the tummy pudge, then I threw on some killer heels and out I went.  All was fine until I encountered a huge, full-length mirror in the restaurant bathroom. And I looked ridiculous. I turned to the side and what stared back at me was a giant ass propped up on 4ft tall toothpicks. Horrified, I fled back to the table and sat for the rest of the night, bladder be damned.

However, one amazing thing about my fledgling relationship with Jason is that he makes me feel safe in being honest and open. In the last few days, he and I have talked a lot about our respective relationships with our body shape/size.  His story is opposite of mine. Where he was recently quite heavy, he is now ridiculously lean and muscular. I started from zero and I’m adding onto the existing frame. HE couldn’t be happier with leaning out and seeing muscles.  *I* am pissed the fuck off that my impossible-to-find-and-stoopid-expensive jeans don’t fit anymore… all because of my ass and thigh muscles. Fuck you, ass and thigh muscles. But Jason?  He listened patiently while I hormonally bashed everything about my body I hated, grabbing folds of tummy grossness and thigh/ass chunk in the process.

Walking over to me, he calmly looked straight into my eyes, took my face in both his hands, and said that I’d need to get over all that bullshit really quickly because he thinks I’m beautiful in every way.  And then told me he loved me for the first time.

I shut up. After I told him I loved him back. :)

So no more bitching about the size of my arse or the crappy fit of my clothes. Tonight, Peach goes shopping!!! I will not hyperventilate over the sizes I need to buy to cover my arse appropriately.  I will accept that my previously weak-skinny frame is not getting fatter, it’s getting stronger. Besides, Jason adores my ASSets. (womp womp)

Lastly, it’s RECIPE TIME!

Adapted from: http://www.fitsugar.com/Recipe-Gluten-Free-Cheesy-Veggie-Pasta-Bake-20317594

PEACH’S PALEO SPAGHETTI (SQUASH) BAKE

(Gluten-free, dairy-free)

Ingredients

• 1 whole spaghetti squash
  • 2 tablespoons organic coconut oil
  • 1 small red pepper, diced
  • 1 large zucchini, diced
  • 1 carrot, shredded
  • 2 small yellow squash, or 1 large
  • 3 cloves garlic, minced
  • 1 tomato, diced
  • 16 ounces tomato sauce (I used Rao’s Homemade Marinara – Tomato and Basil)
  • Spices for veggies to taste: smoked paprika, celery salt, garlic
  • powder, black pepper, italian seasoning
  • 1/2 to 1lb ground beef. Grass-fed is preferred. If not, use the most organic, lean version available.

Directions

• Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
  • Poke spaghetti squash all over with a knife and cook in the microwave for eight to 12 minutes until soft. If you don’t have a microwave, place the poked squash on a baking pan and bake at 375 degrees for 45 to 60 minutes.
  • While that’s cooking, add the oil, garlic, pepper, zucchini, squash, and carrots to a pan, cooking over medium heat.
  • When done, cut the spaghetti squash in half, scoop out the seeds, and with a fork, scrape the flesh from the peel. It should flake off easily in strings, resembling spaghetti.

Like zzeeeees.

• Place the spaghetti squash flesh in a 9×13 casserole dish. Add the cooked veggies, diced tomato, meat, sauce, and mix well.
  • Bake for 30 minutes.
  • Allow to cool for five minutes, serve, and enjoy!

so good. promise.

AND, it’s good FOR you. Check out the stats!

Now, if you’ll excuse me, I’m off to see a store about some jeans.

8 Week Challenge, #2: That time I ran a race in a tutu.

1. Oh Peach! I loved this post so much, I hardly know where to begin. The tutu? Over-the-top adorable. I love your honesty in this post, and how easy it wasn’t for you to share. You are so awesome! Thank you for letting us take a peek into your world. And Jason? He is one lucky fella!

Melisa @ just begin from here September 12, 2012 at 4:55 pm #
    • Thanks, Melisa! The tutu was soooo much fun to run in. We got lots of smiles and picture requests. :)

Ugh… it’s scary to put myself out there this much, but Pish really inspired me. I know I’m not alone in the self-bashing and ridiculous thoughts, and it felt great to just vent!

Jason’s the lucky one? Heart you for that. I feel pretty damn lucky too.

50peach September 13, 2012 at 9:07 am #
  2. That Jason, what a total keeper!! And thanks for sharing the recipe – when I saw it on Instagram, I was totally wanting some 😉

I wonder if I can join in this challenge on week 3. I’m already doing stuff as of about mid-August. It sounds good to put it all out there!

Stacie @ Snaps and Bits September 13, 2012 at 4:10 pm #
    • It’s soooo yum. :) We’d love to have you, girl! Join up!

50peach September 17, 2012 at 10:27 am #
  3. I love the tutu. I think you should wear it with pride! Great post

Kisatrtle September 13, 2012 at 10:42 pm #
    • Oh, I did… and I may have leaped and twirled on my run, too. :)

50peach September 17, 2012 at 10:30 am #
  4. Healthy is good! Stick-skinny is bad! Hope you found some nice clothes and bought them for yourself.

pansiesandsunflowers September 13, 2012 at 11:18 pm #
    • Thank you! I did find a few items that cover my arse…amazing, the difference well-fitting clothes make!

50peach September 17, 2012 at 10:31 am #
  5. I think I actually “squee-ed” at work at the part where he said he loves you! I’m so excited for you! He seems like a wonderful guy.

I know how you feel about trying to love your body. I had lost 35 lbs and then (of course) got pregnant. So here I am, 7 months post partum, trying not to vomit every time I look in the mirror.

Hubby comes into the bathroom and of course, I fling the towel over myself. He doesn’t understand why until I tell him that I hate the way I look. And then he proceeds to make me cry by telling me I was the prettiest pregnant woman he had ever seen, and that now I’m the most beautiful new mom he’s ever seen.

I guess I just get to thank God that he’s getting cataracts cause we’re so old. :)

Cherish the fact that he thinks you’re beautiful. It means so much.

Kenja September 14, 2012 at 6:05 pm #
    • Aw, Kenja. You get it, hon. It doesn’t matter that we KNOW we’re being ridiculous… we just feel the way we feel sometimes. But it makes all the difference to have someone who loves you for you. Big hug to you.

50peach September 17, 2012 at 10:32 am #
  6. OH yes. Awesome post, awesome job and oh my god I think I teared up a little at the I love you scenario. Awww. So sweet. Great job and enjoy the bootie! People inject themselves with saline for the lovely booty you have now acquired through sheer hard work! I have a booty too and my hubs loves it the most about my body. Does it irritate me to have to wear a belt because my pants need to be a certain size to fit over the butt. Sure it’s annoying but its also a unique feature!

Revel in your bootie! I learned to love mine – eventually! :)

Great post. Awesome job! Yay! So inspired by you right now!

dalrie September 14, 2012 at 7:08 pm #
    • Haha, thanks Dalrie! I’m working on the relationship I have with my booty since I posted this. The new clothes are helping, because they now fit me properly… I feel WAY better about my new shape. Jason? Also his fave feature about me! 😀 Guess it may be time to just get over it, huh?

50peach September 17, 2012 at 10:35 am #
  7. I love the tutu idea! I might steal it, how fun.

Never, never look in bathroom mirrors when you’re out. They lie and ruin your night! It’s funny how hard we are on ourselves. I look at pictures of myself from 10 years ago and I think, ‘wow, I was pretty’ yet I know at the time I felt awful about myself. And I’m sure the same thing will happen ten years from now. The key is to accepting ourselves now and allowing ourselves to see the beauty. I love Jason…what a great guy.

I am buying the ingredients for that dish tomorrow! It sounds so completely delicious. Thanks for sharing that!

kianwi September 15, 2012 at 12:06 am #
    • You’re welcome! And ugh, you’re so right, Kianwi. I promise, most of the time I feel great about how I look and all the effort I’m putting in. But sometimes, some days, some WEEKS (hint hint) – it’s an all-out bash-fest. Likewise, I’m adjusting to the “recalibration” of where my body wants to be with all this exercise… it’s GOING to be different and not in ways that I’m expecting. Time to face that, get clothes that fit, and be proud that I’m getting stronger instead of bitching about it. :)

Let me know how the dish turned out!

50peach September 17, 2012 at 10:40 am #
  8. A tutu race!!! Good for you! Sounds like you’re doing great! Needing new clothes to cover a fit body is an amazing thing – hope you found lots of great stuff!

Michelle Longo September 15, 2012 at 1:42 pm #
    • Thanks, Michelle! I did find two pairs of super-stretchy (forgiving to the booty) jeans that don’t dig into the waist, and MAY have treated myself to a pair of patent nude heels too. Oops. :)

50peach September 17, 2012 at 10:41 am #
  9. Haha I laughed out loud at your title!!

You are doing a-ah-maaaazing!!!! Way to go, Peach!!

Okay two things about muffin top. One – I will post exercises and whatnot on Pinterest for that particular problem. Two – if it remains a problem for a bit it might not hurt to get a second favorite pair of jeans that fit you better while you work out so that your self esteem doesn’t suffer and you don’t give up in frustration and three – wait, I totally said two things, and here is the third!

Three – I bet a lot of it is in your head. I mean maybe you have some squish, but is your butt and your muffin top really as bad as you think? I obsess about my stomach and it is kinda gross. It looks like I’ve squeezed out 47 children, and I’ve squeezed out zero children, but I know in the back of my head that it’s way worse in my head and in my eyes than it is to other people. I’m pretty sure.

But oh I know how awful it feels to not fit in your clothes. Believe me! That’s why I want to keep going on this. Because the more I work out the MORE POUNDS I AM GAINING!! Argh. Our bodies are just recalibrating – give it time, okay? :)

Pish Posh September 16, 2012 at 3:16 pm #
    • I am completely, 100% guilty of door number three. Thank you, hormones. It’s just been an all-over-the-place kind of week and when I wasn’t snarling at Jason I was bashing everything about myself physically. Yes, I did need new jeans (which I found two pairs), but wow did you nail it – our bodies are “recalibrating”! Excellent word! And yes, I promise to give it time…and be nicer to myself. But only if you do too! 😀

50peach September 17, 2012 at 10:59 am #
  10. I love this post! Sounds like you have an awesome partner.

KBar3 September 16, 2012 at 4:36 pm #
    • Thank you! And yes, he’s pretty awesome. :)

50peach September 17, 2012 at 11:00 am #
  11. Dude… green tutu? Green tutu and running? That is all kinds of awesome.

I am so much in support of the Paleo diet – it makes more sense than any other eating plan I’ve ever seen. Your recipe looks amazing. I’ll never make it because I’m so lazy, but I think it’s great that you’ve turned a “diet” into a lifestyle that works for you.

And Jason? Any guy who sits through an ass fat/thigh chunk grabbing meltdown and responds with “I love you” is a guy who may actually be worthy of you.

reannartsl September 17, 2012 at 1:56 am #
    • Awwww, thank you for that last sentence. You made my day!

And Paleo may not get a lot of hype or agreement from everyone, but I cannot fault the results I’m seeing with it! When people get freaked out if they have me over for dinner, asking what I can/can’t eat, I just say, “do you have meat? yes. do you have veggies? yes. Then I’m good!!!”. It’s not as complex as you’d think.

I’m bringing sexy back… in the green tutu.

50peach September 17, 2012 at 11:05 am #
  1. how to get motivated. | just begin from here - September 27, 2012

[…] other news, I made a SUPER YUM meal this week that I found over at my pal Peach’s blog. She’s a hardcore Paleo and CrossFit badass and apparently knows her way around the […]

2. how to get motivated. | just begin from here - September 27, 2012

3. Day 25: Thankful Pictures « Fifty Shades of Peach - November 25, 2012

[…] pie, apple pie, cool whip or ice cream. What I did have: ham, turkey and my spaghetti squash bake. (Recipe here.)  It was weird. But I’m proud I held strong. […]

4. Recipe Share: Clean Eats Galore | 50 Peach - April 5, 2013

[…] scrambles, omelets, frittata (frittatii?), as a base for pot roast, shredded pork, or in my Spaghetti Squash Bake. I even throw it into salads.  I’d be lost without […]

5. Five Foto Friday: Foodie Edition | 50 Peach - April 5, 2013