Undercurrent

Miss Susan rolled her shoulders and let out a thankful exhale that it was Movie Time.  Not that it was surprising Hank had shoved Kat down on the playground earlier… Hank loved terrorizing his sister as much as he loved being the center of attention.  Kat’s tears were dried and the skinned knee was kissed, but Miss Susan didn’t miss the hateful look those remarkable green eyes had flung at Hank.

Across the toy-strewn room she spotted Hank, front and center. Even at six years of age, anything less than prime seating was inferior.  He was solidly sprawled on the floor, face up with his arms crossed underneath the mop of curly dark hair.  And sitting quietly in the back, was the everything Hank was not.  Four year old Kat was slight of build with a shock of white-blond hair and an adorably freckled nose. The tiny smile on her lips said that she seemed to have forgotten the trauma quickly.

Seeing that all the kiddos were content with the tv-cart movie, Miss Susan left the room to go snag some Tylenol.  When she returned, Kat seemed fine. Still smiling.

“Hmmm. Wait. Did Kat move? She looks a little farther forward than where I put her.” In the dimmed light, the teacher narrowed her eyes and watched carefully.

Then, after a few minutes of stillness, and without even bothering to check that she had the all-clear from the watchful eyes of the grown-ups, little Kat gracefully scooted her little butt 6 inches forward.

More minutes passed.  And then another booty-scoot.

Wait. Scoot.

Wait. Scoot.

Miss Susan knew this could end badly, but surely Kat wouldn’t…. would she?  And just then, little Red came toddling over.  Aw, poor guy had an accident. Off they went to the potty.

Wait. Scoot.

Wait. Scoot.

Until, with one last stealthy scoot, the target was achieved. Front and center.

Miss Susan had just stepped back into the room when she spotted the upswing.

Oh NO…

Hank didn’t see it coming.  He only felt the blinding pain as the tiny hand descended at full overhead speed, open-palmed, making direct contact with his nose.

Miss Susan was already in motion before impact. She sprinted to Hank, who howled as blood poured and chaos ensued. Another teacher practically snagged Kat by the scruff of her neck and placed her in the Time Out spot. It took a while, but eventually the cacophony was silenced and the movie was rewound and restarted. Hank snuggled into Miss Susan’s generous lap as he sniffled into a hanky.

Only then did the teacher direct her eyes to the little girl.  Kat was smiling in her punishment, a picture of victory in her dirtied yellow dress with a band-aid on her knee.  On the surface, Kat was beauty and sweetness. But there lay beneath a strong undercurrent of tenacity and devious intelligence.

Miss Susan smirked and laughed inwardly,  “Some poor man is going to have his hands full one day.”

_____________________________________________________

read to be read at yeahwrite.me

Undercurrent

1. NIcely done. My only question: does a 4-year-old have the strength to break skin upon contact, even in full swing? I’d put something in her hand like a heavy toy. That should do it.

Erica M July 17, 2012 at 8:47 pm #
    • Oooh… evil! Maybe not enough to break the skin, but perhaps enough for one hell of a nosebleed. Hypothetically, of course. 😉

50peach July 17, 2012 at 8:52 pm #
    • Absolutely, a four year old has the strength to break skin and cartilage on contact. My husband and his nose will testify. He went to school for I can’t even remember how long with two black eyes. Because our son got mad and punched him. And everyone in public looked suspiciously at ME after it happened.

jesterqueen (@jesterqueen) July 19, 2012 at 1:37 pm #
  2. Have you ever seen Norman Rockwell’s “The Young Lady with a Shiner” painting? Google it :) My husband was an elementary principal for years and had this image hanging in his office – it is priceless and reminded me of your story! :)

Kate F. July 18, 2012 at 7:32 am #
  3. Very nice. I think Kat could grow up to be the head of Google or something. I like her style!

Kenja July 18, 2012 at 9:21 am #
    • If you can’t be good….be good at it. :)

50peach July 20, 2012 at 9:00 am #
  4. Kat rocks! Loved this story.

Kathleen (@Michigan_Left) July 18, 2012 at 10:20 am #
  5. good for Kat!

christina July 18, 2012 at 10:50 am #
  6. Loved it! A Kat with some claws…

iasoupmama July 18, 2012 at 11:14 am #
  7. Kat remind me of my daughter. She can be pushed around by her brother pretty good but she’ll only be pushed so far before she’ll strike back.
    Great story!

Carrie July 18, 2012 at 1:49 pm #
  8. LOL! Go, Kat, go! I always find myself imagining what it’s like to be the teacher in these situations. They must be secretly glad when the picked upon draw a line in the sand. The kid is learning an important life skill *and* if the bully backs down classroom/daycare management becomes way easier.

Larks July 18, 2012 at 3:23 pm #
    • What a great observation, and so true. I’d much rather see children with an innate ability to defend themselves than start their maturity in a victim mentality!

50peach July 20, 2012 at 8:59 am #
  9. Go Kat! And I loved the last line about her being someone’s handful down the line. She sounds a little like someone I know well…my daughter has a habit of letting nothing slide. She took care of things, Kat did! She won’t be picked on again, or soon.

Gina July 18, 2012 at 3:32 pm #
  10. Oh lordy this makes me think of my daughter – she is already a handful at 16 months. I totally see this at age 4. On one hand I totally cheer her on – but I do feel bad for her future teachers and boyfriends!

Carinn @welcometothemotherhood July 18, 2012 at 4:41 pm #
  11. my daughter = Kat. enough said. i know this girl :)

tara pohlkotte July 18, 2012 at 5:22 pm #
    • Aw. You were blessed with a handful, then. Good times!

50peach July 20, 2012 at 8:58 am #
  12. Are YOU Kat??? I’m not confirming or denying that you may or may not have a bit of sass, but you DO mention it in your blog name. Just sayin’! :) Fun piece!!

justbeginfromhere July 18, 2012 at 6:14 pm #
  13. I know and love this little girl. Great story!

ateachablemom July 18, 2012 at 9:07 pm #
  14. Oh, yes you did. Man, this was fantastic. I didn’t know where you were going but I found myself cheering for that slight little heroine. It’s how I feel when my son gives his big sis a huge wallop– I am not supposed to root for him, but he’s been the underdog around here all his life. The TV-cart movie detail? Perfect. I haven’t thought of those in YEARS. And they were all over grammar school. Actually in college too. Cuz I am old. Love it!

outlawmama July 18, 2012 at 9:24 pm #
    • Love that you picked up on that tiny detail of the tv-cart! You rock. Those were so retro-fabulous. :)

50peach July 19, 2012 at 8:16 am #
  15. You had me on the edge of my seat! Kat reminds me a lot of my own feisty little girl. Great story.

mamarific July 18, 2012 at 9:44 pm #
  16. Sometimes it’s worth the punishment :)

kianwi July 18, 2012 at 10:34 pm #
  17. Retribution, I love it.

Joseph Cereola July 19, 2012 at 12:47 am #
  18. And maybe after that, Hank thought twice before assaulting his sister.

jesterqueen (@jesterqueen) July 19, 2012 at 1:38 pm #